**Caffeine as a Pre-Workout** ''You should try our new 'pre-workout' its got enough Beta Alanine to make make you want to rip your face off, new 'pump formula' (whatever the f**k that is) and 26 other wonderful ingredients...all for just €40'' Sound familiar?? Pre-Workouts are effective but unfortunately are full of unnecessary crap and are grossly over priced.
A far cheaper and just as beneficial alternative is Caffeine...after all, caffeine is the main ingredient in pre-workouts!
1. Caffeine is effective for enhancing various forms of exercise including endurance activities such as time trial events and intermittent high-intensity sports such as GAA and soccer.
2. Caffeine can improve alertness, focus and cognitive performance in states of sleep deprivation.
3. Caffeine can also improve performance is Strength and Power activities such as weightlifting, however, the research is a little more inconclusive in this area.
3. Caffeine is cheap!! Recommended Dosage:
A low-moderate dosage of 3-5mg/kg of bodyweight is recommended. It is important to note that increased dosage above these levels does not lead to an increased enhancement of performance.
Elevated levels are observed in the bloodstream 15mins after ingestion with peak concentrations being observed after 60mins. Ideal timing of 30-60mins prior to training/event.
1. Coffee - the average cup of coffee will contain somewhere in the region of 60-200mg of caffeine depending on serving size.
2. Caffeine Powder/Tablets - Powder contains 180mg/serving while tablets contain 200mg/serving (MyProtein products)
3. Tea - average cup can contain 50-100mg of caffeine.
-Pre Workouts are over-priced and full of unnecessary products.
-Caffeine supplementation is an effective performance enhancer for many activities.
-Caffeine supplements/Coffee are cheap.
-Coffee is nice, I like coffee!
**Injury Rehab** Here we have one of our clients who is recovering from her second ACL surgery and is now doing Personal sessions as part of her rehab. The aim of her sessions has been to increase strength in her legs and core, increase stability and improve landing mechanics with the eventual aim of getting her back on the pitch.
The exercises shown are aimed at improving her uni-lateral leg strength, static stability and dynamic stability and landing. It is key with this client that we work her in all planes of movement and different intensities to ensure maximum confidence on return to play for her.
This is just one of many of our Rehab clients, we have everything ranging from scoliosis correction to hamstring tears and everything in between.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you are looking to start a rehabilitation programme to get yourself back to your sport or full health.